IISc Bangalore, IIT Madras to IIM-Ahmedabad top HRD Ministry ranking
NIRF ranking: The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-M) has been adjudged the best engineering college and the Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad (IIM-A) the best management institution. According to the national institutional ranking framework (NIRF), Delhi University's Miranda House was the best college, followed by St Stephen's College, which participated in the ranking process for the first time. In a first, medical, architecture and law colleges were also ranked by the ministry.
Under its national institutional ranking framework (NIRF), Union HRD Ministry on Tuesday adjudged the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore as the overall best institution in the country. The ranking is decided to promote competition among the Universities and drive them to strive for excellence. The ‘Research and Professional Practices’ are given the highest weightage of 40% in deciding the ranking of such universities. In the university category, IISc Bangalore stood first, followed by Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Banaras Hindu University (BHU). Among the top 10 institutes in the overall category were IISc, six IITs in Madras, Bombay, Delhi, Kharagpur, Kanpur and Roorkee, JNU, BHU and Anna University in Chennai.
Established in 1909 by a visionary partnership of industrialist Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, the Maharaja of Mysore and the government of India, the Indian Institute of Science has excelled by the passage of time and earned laurels in higher education and research activites.
Since its inception, the institute has laid a balanced emphasis on the pursuit of basic knowledge in science and engineering, as well as on the application of its research findings for industrial and social benefit. In the words of its founder, J N Tata, the objectives of the institute are "to provide for advanced instruction and to conduct original investigations in all branches of knowledge as are likely to promote the material and industrial welfare of India."
It was a big moment for the esteemed institution on Tuesday, when HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar announced the IISc Bangalore as the overall best institution in the country at an event in the Vigyan Bhavan.
The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT-M) has been adjudged the best engineering college and the Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad (IIM-A) the best management institution.
According to the national institutional ranking framework (NIRF), Delhi University's Miranda House was the best college, followed by St Stephen's College, which participated in the ranking process for the first time. In a first, medical, architecture and law colleges were also ranked by the ministry.
While AIIMS was adjudged the best medical college, IIT-Kharagpur and National Law School of India University, Bengaluru topped in architecture and law categories, respectively.
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali; Jamia Hamdard and Panjab University were ranked as top colleges for study of pharmacy.
In the third edition of the rankings, a total of 2,809 institutions have participated in nine categories -- overall, universities, engineering, colleges, management, pharmacy, medical, architecture and law. Collectively they have submitted 3,954 distinct profiles, some in multiple disciplines/categories.
This includes 301 universities, 906 engineering institutions, 487 management institutions, 286 pharmacy institutions, 71 law institutions, 101 medical institutions, 59 architecture institutions and 1087 general degree colleges.
A senior HRD Ministry official said, "The parameters used for India Rankings 2018 are broadly similar to those used in previous years. However, some of the sub-parameters have been further tweaked for greater robustness and accuracy. In particular for evaluating Research Impact, parameters for quality of publications have been enhanced to include the number of highly cited papers."
NIRF India Rankings 2018
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (1)
2. IIT Madras (2)
3. IIT Bombay (3)
4. IIT Delhi (5)
5. IIT Kharagpur (4)
6. Jawaharlal Nehru University (6)
7. IIT Kanpur (7)
8. IIT Roorkee (9)
9. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (10)
10. Anna University, Chennai (13)
Top 10 Universities
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (1)
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (2)
3. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (3)
4. Anna University, Chennai (6)
5. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad (7)
6. Jadavpur University, Kolkata (5)
7. University of Delhi, New Delhi (8)
8. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore (9)
9. Savitribai Phule Pune University (10)
10. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (11)
Top 10 Colleges
1. Miranda House, Delhi University (1)
2. St, Stephens, Delhi University (n/a)
3. Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli (4)
4. Hindu College, Delhi (n/a)
5. Presidency College, Chennai,
6. Loyola College, Chennai (2)
7. Shri Ram College for Commerce, Delhi (3)
8. Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi (7)
9. Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira, Howrah (n/a)
10. Madras Christian College, Chennai (12)
Top 10 Engineering Institutes
1. IIT Madras (1)
2. IIT Bombay (2)
3. IIT Delhi (4)
4. IIT Kharagpur (3)
5. IIT Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh (5)
6. IIT Roorkee, Uttarakhand (6)
7. IIT Guwahati, Assam (7)
8. Anna University, Chennai (8)
9. IIT, Hyderabad (10)
10. Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai (14)
Top 10 Medical Institutes
1) All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi
2) Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
3) Christian Medical College, Vellore
4) Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
5) King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
6) Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research, Puducherry
7) Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
8) Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
9) Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
10) Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai
Top 10 Management Institutes
1. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad (1)
2. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore (2)
3. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Calcutta (3)
4. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow (4)
5. Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT) Bombay (n/a)
6. Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (5)
7. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur (7)
8. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi (6)
9. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee (8)
10. Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur (9)
Top 10 Architecture Institutes
1) Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
2) Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
3) School of Planning and Architecture New Delhi
4) College of Engineering Trivandrum, Thiruvananthapuram
5) School of Planning and Architecture Bhopal
6) Anna University, Chennai
7) JNAFAU School of Planning and Architecture, Hyderabad
8) Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
9) National Institute of Technology Hamirpur
10) Faculty of Architecture, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Udupi
Top 10 Law Institutes
1)National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
2) National Law University, New Delhi
3) Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad
4) Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur
5) National Law University Jodhpur, Jodhpur
6) Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
7) The West Bengal National University of Juridicial Sciences, Kolkata
8) Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow
9) Symbiosis Law School, Pune
10) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar College of Law, Visakhapatnam
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.