EV alert! No registration charges for electric vehicles? Check out Centre's proposal
The petrol, diesel cars and all other vehicles should be taken off the roads are clear to all those who worry about the pollution problem in our cities, towns and most other parts of the country too.
Th petrol, diesel cars and all other vehicles should be taken off the roads is clear to all those who worry about the pollution problem in our cities, towns and most other parts of the country too. Electric vehicles are the way to go and the Centre has revealed an amazing proposal - government has decided to waive registration charges for electric vehicles! This is as per a draft notification on Wednesday. Notably, the country plans high penetration of electric vehicles by 2030. Issuing the draft notification to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR), 1989, the road transport and highways ministry said battery-operated vehicles "shall be exempted from the payment of fees for the purpose of issue or renewal of registration certificate and assignment of new registration mark". Check out highlights:
1. Move to promote electric vehicles (EVs) in India.
2. The exemption will apply to all category of vehicles, including two-wheelers.
3. Ministry has issued the draft notification for amendments in CMVR where the amendments in Rule 81 are proposed for such waiver.
4. The amendments will be done in exercise of the powers conferred on the central government under various sections of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
5. Comments from stakeholders have been sought in a month.
6. Draft rules shall be taken into consideration after the expiry of a period of 30 days from the date on which the copies of this notification as published in the Gazette of India, are made available to the public. it said.
7. Objections or suggestions that may be received from any person with respect to the said draft rules before the expiry of the aforesaid period will be considered by the central government,
Clearly, a bold step has been proposed by the central government and should go a long way in combating pollution and transforming the way that people travel.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.