Booking IRCTC Tatkal ticket? How you can benefit, check refund, cancellation, concession and other rules
IRCTC, under the Tatkal scheme, ensures the Advance Reservation Period (ARP) ticket booking begins a day prior the date of the journey.
IRCTC ticket booking: Many of us have traveled by the Indian Railways. Whether it is short or long distance travel, everything is covered under this mode of transport, for both personal and business travel. Under the IRCTC Tatkal ticket booking scheme, individuals can make prior reservations to book their desired seats or berths for the journey. Yes, Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC), which handles catering, tourism and online ticketing functions of Railways, provides passengers Tatkal ticket booking service that is extremely beneficial for travellers as it helps them to undertake a journey on short notice.
Under Tatkal, a Hindi word which means immediate, tickets are booked virtually at the last minute, so to say. IRCTC, under the Tatkal scheme, ensures the Advance Reservation Period (ARP) ticket booking begins a day prior to the date of the journey. But there are some criteria which are to be noted before booking a Tatkal ticket.
Key points for Tatkal ticket booking:
1. Tatkal ticket can be booked only for selected trains a day prior the journey from the train originating station. The ticket for AC class (2A/3A/CC/EC/3E) will begin at 10:00 hours on the opening date. The booking will start at 11:00 hours for Non-AC class (SL/FC/2S).
2. Tatkal ticket cannot be booked for First AC and Executive class.
3. Ladies and general quota cannot be opted alongside the Tatkal ticket.
4. No concessions such as the senior citizen concession is applicable on tatkal tickets.
5. Compared to normal ticket fares that are booked prior, Tatkal tickets charge 10% basic fare extra on second class and 30% basic fare on all other classes. The minimum and maximum charges levied on Tatkal tickets are as below:
6. It will be issued for the actual distance of the journey rather than end-to-end. This is subject to restriction applicable to the train. The same seat or berth may be booked at a different station. Certain trains do not have the option of Tatkal quota. Hence it is advisable to check availability before booking.
7. There is no guarantee of refund on cancellation of the confirmed booking. For wait-listed Tatkal tickets, charges levied will be according to existing Railway rules.
8. One can make Tatkal bookings online. A selection on Tatkal check box has to be made in the 'Plan my Travel' page. Please note not all trains have Tatkal seats. proceed only after checking availability.