Warning! ICICI Bank account holder? Avoid this to have secure online banking
In the world of technology, many banking systems have fallen prey to cyber threat and crime. It becomes very important to remain secure, as no one likes to lose their hard-earned money in a blink of an eye. It can be overwhelming and distressful when you receive a message that a certain amount has been debited from your bank account. Some of the ways are phishing mails, sim-swap fraud, mobile applications and even fake bank mobile apps. Interestingly, private lender ICICI Bank has been warning its customers to have a safe and secure onling banking transactions. This time, ICICI Bank warns its bank account holder to avoid using public Wi-Fi or use VPN software when transacting online.
The bank via its Twitter account said, "Avoid using public Wi-Fi or use VPN software when transacting online. Follow #SafeBanking tips with #ICICIBank."
Avoid using public Wi-Fi or use VPN software when transacting online. Follow #SafeBanking tips with #ICICIBank. More on #iPledgeSafeBanking guidelines: https://t.co/SghQHRIkRA pic.twitter.com/XjCLqKiimO
— ICICI Bank (@ICICIBank) February 21, 2019
Here are some precautions for safe and secure mobile banking, as per ICICI Bank.
1. Set up a Pin/password to access the handset menu on your mobile phone. Register/ update your mobile number and e-mail ID for alerts to keep track of your banking transactions.
2. Delete junk message and chain messages regularly.
3. Do not follow any URL in message that you are not sure about.
4. If you have to share your mobile with anyone else or send it for repair/maintenance:
- Clear the browsing history
- Clear cache and temporary files stored in the memory as they may contain your account numbers and other sensitive information
- Block your mobile banking applications by contacting your bank. You can unblock them when you get the mobile back
- Clear the browsing history
5. Do not save confidential information such as your debit/credit card numbers,CVV numbers or PIN's on your mobile phone.
6. Do not part with confidential information received from your bank on your mobile. Install an effective mobile anti-malware/anti-virus software on your smartphone and keep it updated.
7. Keep your mobile's operating system and applications, including the browser, updated with the latest security patches and upgrades.
8. Password-protect your mobile device to protect against unauthorised access. Set up a Pin/password that is difficult to crack.
9. Do not enable auto-fill or save user IDs or passwords for mobile banking online.
10. If possible, maximise the security features by enabling encryption, remote wipe and location tracking on device.
11. Never leave your mobile phone unattended.
12. Turn off wireless device services such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS when they are not being used. The Bluetooth can be set up in invisible mode.
13. Avoid using unsecured Wi-Fi, public or shared networks.
14. Do not use "jailbroken" or "rooted" devices for online banking. Jailbreaking or rooting a device (the process of breaking into the phone's built-in operating system to control it outside the vendor's original intention) exposes the device to additional malware and gains administrative or privileged access of OS.
15. Only download apps from official app stores such as Apple iTunes, Android Marketplace, Google Play Store and BlackBerry App World.
16. Never disclose personal information or online banking credentials via e-mail or text message as these can be used for identity theft.
17. Log out from online mobile banking or application as soon as you have completed your transactions. Also make sure you close that window.
18. Be aware of shoulder surfers. Be extra careful while typing confidential information such as your account details and password on your mobile in public places.
19. In case you lose your mobile phone, please call our 24-hour Customer Care to disable the iMobile application.
Hence, it is always advisable to stay alert and vigilant!
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.