- Stock Market Live News Today: Nifty, Sensex gain over 2% each; bank, metal stocks shine
- RBI Monetary Policy Review: Top 20 statements from Governor Shaktikanta Das' MPC address
- 5G rollout: Xiaomi India shares big update on data packs, plans, bundled offers | Interview
- RBI Monetary Policy: Offline Payment Aggregators come under regulatory purview; on parity now with online peers
- Twitter shares update to make video experience better - Step-by-step guide
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India to issue Net Neutrality recommendations tomorrow
Telecom regulator Trai will issue recommendations on the thorny issue of Net neutrality tomorrow over which operators and those who provide apps have locked horns.
"We will issue recommendations on Net neutrality tomorrow," Trai Chairman RS Sharma told reporters on the sidelines of an open house discussion on in-flight connectivity (IFC) for providing phone call and data service.
The recommendations on IFC will be issued within 10 days, he said.
Supporters of Net neutrality back the principle that the entire Internet traffic should be available to everyone on equal terms without any discrimination based on business considerations of service providers.
The Trai's recommendations will come at a time when there is a debate raging over Net neutrality?globally.
The US regulator, Federal Communications Commission, has said recently that it plans to roll back the?"Net neutrality" rules the were adopted in America in 2015.
When asked about status of consultation on over-the-top (OTT) service providers offering calls and messaging service using Internet like whatsapp, skype and viber, Sharma said that the recommendations on Net neutrality should be able to provide some of the answers to issues around OTT players and VoIP (Voice over Internet protocol) calls.
OTT refers to applications and services which are accessible over the Internet. They ride on operator networks offering Internet access services such as social networks, search engines and video aggregation sites.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.