Beware before logging into onlinesbi: Follow these 7 tips by State Bank of India for secure mobile banking
SBI has on many occasions, have assured the safety of bank account holders, but there are certain practices that we must also follow ourselves.
Mobile banking has witnessed a massive push in India post demonetisation. The users just need to download the bank's app, register and they can transfer money within minutes. But, this has also led to an increase in number of frauds. The cases of fraudsters luring customers to get their bank details are becoming more common. Country's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has been asking customers to stay safe and follow bank guidelines to have secure mobile banking experience. In the past too, SBI has warned the bank account holders on many occasions. Here are 7 tips that you should follow for safe mobile banking experience:
1. Never open or install any flash player application from unknown sources. These apps or links can involve malware and once your install them, the scammer gets a clean entry in your personal details.
2. Avoid downloading apps from third-party app stores or from links given in SMSs or emails. This type of fraud is called phishing where a fraudster asks for your financial credential via mails, by saying there is some risk in your account or you have to submit your details for other purposes. Remember your bank will never send your SMS or emails for any risk involved in your bank account, they will contact you directly or block your bank account immediately. Once you provide a confirmation that, then only the account will get activated.
3. Verify app permissions before installing any app. This is because permission requests are one way of protecting your sensitive information, and the device will only be able to access those information when you accept them.
Watch this Zee Business video here:
4. Never grant administrative privileges to any application. By doing this, you can protect yourself from fake apps. What happens is, when you give admin privileges to an app, they have free access to everything. Always have a device administrator privileges, as they can protect users from blocking or warning you of apps from unknown sources.
5. If any app is asking you for Admin privileges immediately uninstall or delete it. Always remember, a real app even if it is gaming or banking, they will never ask for admin privileges.
6. Keep mobile OS updated. This is very important to do. For instance, you must have come across those messages in Apple iPhones, where they always ask you to update your software. By updating your mobile software, you delete all the outdated versions, and have more advanced security and features.
7. Use mobile anti-virus software. This helps a users in knowing about spam or unsafe apps. Anti-virus also eliminates bugs of outdated apps.
For its online SBI website, the bank says, “Dear customer, beware of fake sites- before logging into onlinesbi for making transactions, please ensure that the URL address bar begins with https:// with padlock symbol. Click the padlock to check the Security Certificate.”
If there is any suspicious electronic transactions, then SBI customers can notify the bank on 1-800-425-3800/1-800-11-2211 immediately.
Also if your mobile is deactivated without your request or you get a call in this regard, SBI says, “somebody may be trying to get a duplicate SIM/ steal your credentials like OTP (One time password), confidential details for beneficiary registration etc. Please be cautious.”
Thereby, one must stay safe and alert to make sure their money stays intact in their bank, and is only remove when its needed from their end.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.