- Electronics Mart India IPO: Should you subscribe or avoid? Know Anil Singhvi's recommendation
- SpiceJet, IndiGo, Jet Airways stocks gain up to 9% as government raises loan limit
- How to activate 5G network on your smartphone - Check step-by-step guide
- Metal stocks in focus: Tata Steel, APL Apollo shares gain 2-6% - key triggers
- Electronics Mart India IPO subscription status Day 2: Issue booked over 6.5 times so far; retail and NII investors bid most
New York state regulator fines Credit Suisse $135 million over forex practices
Credit Suisse Group AG
The settlement stems from a DFS investigation that found "unlawful, unsafe and unsound conduct" in the Swiss bank`s forex business from at least 2008 to 2015, the regulator said.
In addition to the fine, Credit Suisse will have to improve its controls and compliance, and hire a consultant to review remedial efforts for at least a year, subject to DFS approval.
Credit Suisse foreign exchange traders used chat rooms to share confidential customer information, coordinate trades and try to manipulate currencies or benchmark rates, DFS said.
Through these communications, the traders were able to trade ahead of clients, or sometimes use a tactic called "building ammo," with which they coordinated activity to ensure they were not taking positions that would hurt one another, the regulator said.
Credit Suisse also used an algorithm offered by its electronic trading platform, eFX, to trade ahead of known client orders, DFS said.
In a statement, DFS Superintendent Maria Vullo blamed Credit Suisse executives who "deliberately fostered a corrupt culture that failed to implement effective controls."
DFS`s agreement with Credit Suisse is the latest in a string of global regulatory settlements with big Wall Street banks over forex trading practices since 2015.
Rivals including Citigroup Inc
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.