- LIC IPO listing on Tuesday: Public insurer may see flat listing amid weak market sentiment – know what analysts say
- LIC IPO Listing To Be LIVE Tomorrow: Finally, date is here! 10 things to know before LIC lists its shares on NSE, BSE on Tuesday
- Dalal Street Corner: Market participants must remain cautious till Nifty sees reversal; do this when exchanges reopen on Tuesday
- IndiGo inappropriately handled specially challenged child says DGCA in its investigation report
- Q4 Results 2022: GlaxoSmithKline, Greenply Industries, Century Plyboards, Raymond announce March quarter results; here are key h
K'taka govt order on 100cc bike: SIAM seeks amendments
Auto industry body SIAM today said it has written to the Karnataka government to make amendments to the act prohibiting registration of two-wheelers with less than 100 cc engine capacity with a pillion seat.
"This is the first time in the country that such a ban has been imposed. There are no such provisions in the Central Motor Vehicles Act either," Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) Deputy Director General Sugato Sen said in a statement.
There are several popular models of motorcycles that are just below 100 cc with many of them being of 99 cc power, he added.
Therefore, SIAM has approached the state government seeking a revision of this provision of the motor vehicles rules, Sen said.
The Karnataka government has banned riding pillion on two-wheelers with an engine capacity of less than 100 cc, giving effect to a 2015 court order.
The transport department also banned registration of such vehicles.
The order was issued based on a Karnataka High Court order in a case relating to the award of compensation to Hemanth, a minor riding pillion who was crippled for life following a road accident in Mysuru in March 2009.
There should not be any seat for pillion rider in vehicles below 100 CC as mandated under Rule 143(3) of the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Rules - 1989, the court had said.
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.