- Inflation may fall to 5.2 pc next fiscal on normal rains, ease in supplies: RBI report
- Navratan SIP on Zee Business: Buy Avanti Feeds Limited Share - Check price target
- Govt to set up 100 5G labs to promote innovation: IT Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw
- Indian Railways' 148 trains fully cancelled; Duronto rescheduled, Humsafar Express diverted - Check IRCTC refund rule
- Further rate hike to hit real estate sector badly, says realtors' body Credai
Harvey drives U.S. refiner margins, helps beat profit estimates
Higher prices for gasoline and diesel in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey drove up margins for two big U.S. refiners, and led them to post quarterly profits that flew past Wall Street estimates.
Marathon Petroleum Corp said refining and marketing gross margins rose to $14.14 per barrel from $10.67 last year, while Valero Energy Corp`s refining margins rose 25.5 percent. Its refineries ran at 92 percent capacity.
Industrywide margins to produce diesel fuel rose to a more than two-and-a-half year high of $26.95 a barrel, while gasoline margins hit a two-year high in early September, after Hurricane Harvey struck Texas.
The hurricane sapped demand for crude and created long lines for gasoline in parts of the U.S. Southeast and Midwest.
"We are encouraged by domestic and global economic growth, and we expect low oil prices and solid product demand to continue into 2018," said Joe Gorder, Chief Executive Officer of San Antonio, Texas-based Valero.
For the quarter ended Sept. 30, Marathon earned $1.77 per share, easily topping analysts` expectations by 29 cents, while Valero`s profit of $1.91 per share beat estimates of $1.83, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Shares of Marathon were down slightly at $56.28, while Valero`s shares fell to $76.38 on the New York Stock Exchange.
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.