Gold prices were steady in early Asian trade on Thursday, while the dollar edged higher and investors turned their attention to this week`s Federal Reserve meeting for clues on future interest rate hikes. FUNDAMENTALS
* Spot gold
* U.S. gold futures
* Asian stocks rose on Thursday as investors, relieved to have moved past the U.S. midterm elections without any major political surprises, drove a Wall Street rally, while the dollar clawed back some of its earlier losses. [USD/][MKTS/GLOB]
* The dollar index <.dxy>, which measures the greenback against a basket of six major currencies, inched up 0.2 percent.
* The U.S. Federal Reserve began its policy meeting on Wednesday facing a shifting political landscape but little in recent economic data to alter plans for an interest rate increase in December and more to come next year.
* The Fed`s policy statement is scheduled to be released at 2 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Thursday, and analysts do not foresee major changes.
* The top Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives pledged a new era of congressional scrutiny over President Donald Trump on Wednesday, shrugging off White House threats of political warfare if Democrats launch investigations into his affairs.
* Trump on Wednesday forced out Attorney General Jeff Sessions a day after congressional elections, and vowed to fight if the U.S. House of Representatives` new Democratic majority launches probes into his administration.
* The chances of sealing a deal on Britain`s withdrawal from the European Union this month are receding, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said on Wednesday.
* The European Union would have to see a breakthrough on Brexit within a week if its leaders are to endorse any deal with Britain in November, several official and diplomatic sources in Brussels said on Wednesday.
* The president of the European Central Bank told the Italian finance minister at a closed-door meeting that Italy`s high debt requires a degree of fiscal discipline that goes beyond what is mandated by EU regulations, two EU sources said.
* SPDR Gold Trust
DATA AHEAD (GMT)
* China Trade data Oct
0700 Germany Trade data Sept
0745 France Trade data Sept
1330 U.S. Weekly jobless claims
1900 U.S. Federal Reserve issues statement after two-day
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)