Gold prices hold steady, eyes on Fed meeting
Gold prices were steady in early Asian trade on Thursday, while the dollar edged higher and investors turned their attention to this week`s Federal Reserve meeting for clues on future interest rate hikes. FUNDAMENTALS
* Spot gold
* U.S. gold futures
* Asian stocks rose on Thursday as investors, relieved to have moved past the U.S. midterm elections without any major political surprises, drove a Wall Street rally, while the dollar clawed back some of its earlier losses. [USD/][MKTS/GLOB]
* The dollar index <.dxy>, which measures the greenback against a basket of six major currencies, inched up 0.2 percent.
* The U.S. Federal Reserve began its policy meeting on Wednesday facing a shifting political landscape but little in recent economic data to alter plans for an interest rate increase in December and more to come next year.
* The Fed`s policy statement is scheduled to be released at 2 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Thursday, and analysts do not foresee major changes.
* The top Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives pledged a new era of congressional scrutiny over President Donald Trump on Wednesday, shrugging off White House threats of political warfare if Democrats launch investigations into his affairs.
* Trump on Wednesday forced out Attorney General Jeff Sessions a day after congressional elections, and vowed to fight if the U.S. House of Representatives` new Democratic majority launches probes into his administration.
* The chances of sealing a deal on Britain`s withdrawal from the European Union this month are receding, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said on Wednesday.
* The European Union would have to see a breakthrough on Brexit within a week if its leaders are to endorse any deal with Britain in November, several official and diplomatic sources in Brussels said on Wednesday.
* The president of the European Central Bank told the Italian finance minister at a closed-door meeting that Italy`s high debt requires a degree of fiscal discipline that goes beyond what is mandated by EU regulations, two EU sources said.
* SPDR Gold Trust
DATA AHEAD (GMT)
* China Trade data Oct
0700 Germany Trade data Sept
0745 France Trade data Sept
1330 U.S. Weekly jobless claims
1900 U.S. Federal Reserve issues statement after two-day
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.