The ban on iron ore mining in Goa is coming into effect tonight after a high-profile court battle.
While some workers engaged in the sector said the development has put their jobs and livelihood at stake while a Vedanta official urged the government and the Supreme Court to let mining operations continue till the auction is completed.
Amrish Dhumaksar who is a dumper operator with Vedanta Sesa Ion ore's mine at Codli in South Goa, said the cancellation of mining leases has put at stake the jobs of people engaged in the mining industry.
Pritish Goankar, an excavator operator, said, I don't know what will happen after March 15." The Supreme Court last month quashed the second renewal of iron ore mining leases given to 88 companies in Goa in 2015.
The apex court said it was giving time till March 15 to mining lease holders, who have been granted a second renewal in violation of its previous directions, to manage their affairs.
Stating that there was uncertainty all around, Goankar said that he was not even sure whether his company will pay him or not after the mining is stopped.
I don't know as to when auction of these cancelled leases will take place, whether it will be one year or 10 years, he said.
Paul Fernandes, Manager (maintenance) with Vedanta said that this company has given me a lot and its looks very pitiful that from tomorrow there will be no mining in Goa.
Fernandes who is in the mining industry for over three decades is the only bread earner of his family.
I urge the government and Supreme Court to let the mining continue till the time auction is done, he said adding that mining was the backbone of the economy of Goa.
Another miner engaged in the mining industry was of the view that mining was the only source of income for him and blamed the state government of Goa for the entire fiasco.
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)