- Mahindra & Mahindra stock hits 52-week high as brokerages bullish on counter post Scorpio-N launch; check target prices
- GST Council meet begins today: Know agendas of Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman's led two-day meeting
- Security deposit on commercial LPG connection goes up by Rs 1050 for 19-kg cylinder; check new rates
- Cash-starved Sri Lanka to end fuel duopoly to ease fuel shortages
- Xiaomi 12S series set to launch with Leica cameras on July 4: Check key details here
GM's Cruise gets $1.15 billion new cash from T. Rowe Price, SoftBank
General Motors Co`s majority-owned Cruise self-driving division on Tuesday said T. Rowe Price and a group of existing investors put down $1.15 billion in new equity, valuing the unit at $19 billion.
Shares of the No.1 U.S. automaker rose as much as 2.1 percent to $38.89 in morning trading following the announcement.
The latest funding round includes General Motors, Japan`s SoftBank Vision Fund and Honda Motor Co Ltd, and should give the firm much needed cash as it aims to launch vehicles by the end of 2019.
The additional capital comes at a crucial time as a host of automakers and technology companies weigh how quickly autonomous vehicles can be marketed and sold in large volumes, and find ways to share rising costs for hardware and software development.
Rival Ford Motor Co is in talks with German automaker Volkswagen AG about joining forces to create autonomous vehicles in a deal that could involve an investment by VW in Argo AI, an autonomous vehicle technology company majority owned by Ford.
Cruise, which has secured capital commitments of $7.25 billion in the past year, was valued at $14.6 billion in the last funding round by Honda in October, which had invested $2.75 billion.
The current valuation is equivalent to about 35 percent of GM’s market capitalization despite no significant revenue and a product not ready for commercial launch.
Up to Monday`s close GM`s stock had risen about 14 percent this year, compared with a 17 percent increase in the S&P 500 index
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.