From Netflix to Apple Pay, how Reliance is ready to 'kill it' with Jio's apps
One of the key features which gives Reliance Jio an edge is that it caters to multiple requirements of consumers apart from high download speeds.
Reliance Jio is one of the most anticipated telecom operators to launch its 4G services in India. While it had initially rolled out services for its employees, the company recently started an employee referral program which allows employees to give out 10 invites each to acquire the SIM on purchasing a LYF handset.
One of the key features that gives Reliance Jio an edge is that it caters to multiple requirements of consumers apart from high download speeds (about 33-49 Mbps), according to analysts Priya Rohira, Sahil Desai in an Axis Capital report.
Here are 6 apps on Reliance Jio which will set it apart from competition
1. Jio Money: The app not only allows users to make payments at various e-commerce and Reliance Retail ecosystem stores, it also allows users to use a barcode scan to pay at physical stores. The app gives consumers lucrative deals, coupons, discounts, cash back, etc directly on their mobile phone. The service will enable transfer of 'Jio Money' balance into the customer's bank account. It is also reported to have tied up with 50,000 online merchants. This is something similar to mobile payment and digital wallet service, Apple Pay and Paytm.
2. Jio Play: This app offers live TV streaming of over 300 channels across different languages and genres. This is expected to boost Jio's data services. The app also allows recording of content and browsing through or viewing programming content for the past 7 days. According to the Axis Capital report the loading of the TV channels, including HD was instant on selection and it was also seamless while switching between channels. There are apps such Zenga TV, Ozee, Hotstar on similar lines.
3. Jio On Demand: The app allows users to view HD Quality movies, TV shows, music videos, and trailers. The HD content was played without buffering, said the report. This is similar to the services offered by popular on-demand movies and series streaming player Netflix.
4. Jio Beats: This app enables digital music streaming services, with access to songs and curated playlists with download options. It also offers radio. The music app was seamless, said the analysts. This apps is similar to others such as Apple Music, Rdio, Wynk, Gaana, Guvera and Hungama.
5. Jio Xpress News: The app offers curated news updates based on language or category selections. Similar such apps include InShorts, Flipboard, Apple News, Reddit and Yahoo News Digest.
6. Jio Mags: It offers a collection of digital versions of popular magazines across languages and categories which can be downloaded and read offline. Also includes past issues. Other apps in this category include Google Play Newsstand, Zinio and Issuu.