Indian Railways: Biggest contributor to Rio Olympics contingent; complete list of 35 sportspersons
Ministry of Railways announced on Friday the complete list of 35 participants from Indian railways that will be competing in the Rio Olympics that began on August 5.
“Indian Railways among all sports organization in the country becomes the highest contributor for the Indian Olympic Contingent,” the Ministry said in a statement.
India sent over 100 participants to the 2016 Rio Olympics and the Indian railways’ contingent comprises of 1/3rd of the entire Indian Olympic contingent.
Almost the entire Indian women hockey team and the weightlifting team comprised of Railway players.
Sportspersons participating in Rio Olympics-2016 from Indian Railways are:
1. Ms. Laxmirani Majhi,
2. Ms. L. Bombayla Devi,
3. Ms. Manpreet Kaur (Shot Put) [DMW],
4. Ms. Lalita Babar (3000m Steeplechase) [CR],
5. Ms. Tintu Luka (800m) [SR],
6. Ms. Sudha Singh (Marathon) [CR],
7. Ms. OP Jaisha (Marathon) [ER],
8. Ms. Khushbir Kaur (Walk) [NR],
9. Ms. Dutee Chand (100m) [CR],
10. Shri Lalit Mathur (4x400m Relay)
11. Shri Renjit Maheswari (Triple Jump)
12. Shri Manoj Kumar (Boxing Men-64 Kg),
13. Ms. Ayonika Paul (10m Air Rifle)
14. Shri Hardeep Singh (Greeko-Roman),
15. Ms. Vinesh Phogat and
16. Ms. Sakshi Malik (Free-Style).
17. Shri Praveen Rana
18. Shri Sajan Prakash
19. Ms. Saikom Mirabhai Chanu
20. Shri Satish Kumar
21. Ms. Rajani,
22. Ms. Sunita Lakra,
23. Ms. Deepika,
24. Ms. Sushila Chanu Pukhrambam,
25. Ms. Namita Toppo,
26. Ms. Deep Grace Ekka,
27. Ms. Renuka Yadav
28. Ms. Lilima Minz,
29. Ms. Navjot Kaur,
30. Ms. Monika,
31. Ms. Poonam Rani,
32. Ms. Vandana Kataria,
33. Ms. Anuradha Devi Thokchom,
34. Ms. Nikki Pradhan
35. Shri Chinglensana Singh
The coaches of the participants will be awarded Rs 5 lakh along with special prize money that will be shared with the winning of each medal by the participants. The coaches of the team are:
1. Shri C R Kumar (Hockey Women)
2. Ms. Helen Mary (Hockey Women)
3. Ms. PT Usha (Athletics)
4. Shri Kuldeep Malik (Wrestling)
5. Shri Vijay Sharma (Weightlifting)
6. Shri Jagdip Hooda (Boxing)
With the aim to further motivate the players to deliver their best , Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhu has announced a bouquet of incentives for the Railway players viz promotions ,increments & cash awards. This includes promotions as Gazzetted officers for players getting upto 4th position; Out of turn promotions and special increments to the Railway athletes representing India in Rio.
Prize money with each medal:
Gold Medal : Rs.1 Crore
Silver Medal : Rs.75 Lakh
Bronze Medal : Rs.50 Lakh
Up to 8th position : Rs.30 Lakh
For participation : Rs.5 Lakh
In addition, those of Railway players with medal winning performances will be given posting in the Zonal Railway of their choice.