Independence Day: Key things PM Modi said in his speech
Prime Minister Narendra Modi while delivering his third speech on 70th Independence Day on Monday from the Red Fort in New Delhi touched upon several issues right from GST to inflation to his government's work in the last two-and-half-years to terrorism.
Here are key things that PM Modi said in his speech on 70th Independence Day:
1. March from self-governance to good-governance is a resolve of entire nation, it will need sacrifices.
2. There was a time when the government was shrouded by allegations but now the government is surrounded by expectations.
3. Construction of rural roads increased to 100 kilometres (kms) a day from 70-75 kms a day.
4. Four crore new LPG connections given in 60 weeks as against 14 crore connections given in past 60 years.
5. Laying of power transmission lines increased to 50,000 kms in a year from 30,000-35,000-km earlier.
6. Electricity has reached 10,000 villages out of 18,000 unelectricified villages.
7. LED bulbs being sold at Rs 50 each against Rs 350 previously; 13 crore bulbs distributed, target is 77 crore.
8. 77 crore LED bulbs can save 20,000 megawatts (MW) of electricity worth Rs 1.25 lakh crore.
9. Rs 20,000 crore saved through renegotiation of gas import deal with Qatar.
10. We have brought inflation rate below 6%; I will continue to work to ensure food plate of poor is not affected by inflation.
11.Sowing of pulses has increased 1.5 times this year, it will help solve problem of demand shortfall.
12.90 shut irrigation schemes will be revived; 77,000 solar pumps distributed to bring down input cost of farmers.
13.Food godowns with 15 lakh ton capacity built; emphasis on food processing: aim is to help double farmers' income by 2022.
14. I have tried to adopt the strategy of 'Reform, Perform and Transform'; tried to avoid populism.
15. Emphasis on revival of 118 stuck projects worth Rs 7.5 lakh crore.
16. 99.5% of past dues of sugarcane farmers have been cleared; 95% of sugarcane sold this season has been paid for to farmers.
17 About 50 lakh free LPG connections released in 100 days; target of five crore connections can be achieved earlier than scheduled three years.
18. GST will strengthen economy; all parties are to be thanked for its passage.
19. Our social unity is most important; division in the name of caste, creed hurts the country. Need to rise above all these issues.
20. A strong country cannot be build without a strong society which is based on social justice.
21. Tough and "sensitive" approach is required to tackle the age-old social evils whether it is castism or untouchability.
22. Country will not yield to terrorism and extremism, PM Modi asserted and asked youth to shun violance and return to mainstream.
23. PM Modi targeted Pakistan by saying that they glorify terrorists who attack us while India cried when children were killed in terror attack on Peshawar.
24. He announced 20% increase in pension of Freedom fighters.
25. Government to bear up to Rs 1 lakh healthcare expenses annually for below poverty line (BPL) families.
(With PTI Inputs)
Meanwhile, Press Information Bureau (PIB) of India has tweeted PM Modi's full Independence Day audio-video speech, take a look at it here-