Here's a list of 50 passenger centric amenities by Indian Railways
In a Two Year Performance report card of the Indian railways, 50 passenger amenities have been listed which will soon be introduced or have already been introduced.
1. Indian Railways launched 4 social media platforms on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube with the handle-@railminindia.
2. First of its kind, public grievance system through Twitter; provided medical security and other emergency assistance to travelling passengers.
3. All India Security Helpline -182 set up to report any untoward incident and seek emergency help during travel.
4. All India passenger helpline -138 set up for all other queries/complaints during travel.
5. A mobile based application viz Complaint Management System (COMS) was launched.
6. E-catering facility launched at 250 stations. 40B railway stations designated for providing catering services.
7. Scheme for providing Water Vending Machines (WVM) to provide water at affordable prices is under implementation at IRCTC.
8. Reservation quota of two lower berths per coach in sleeper class enhanced to six lower berths per coach for senior citizens and women.
9. Tatkal reservation timings staggered to serve dual purpose of providing conveniences to the passengers and better management of the e-ticket portal.
10. All agents are debarred from booking tickets during first thirty minutes of opening of booking.
11. Automatic refund of Confirmed/RAC e-tickets on cancellation of trains similar to waitlisted e-tickets is granted without filing of Ticket Deposit Receipt.
12. Destination alert and wakeup alarm services launched on ‘139.’
13. Automatic Destination Alerts to passengers through SMS for Rajdhani and Duronto trains.
14. E-ticketing facility launched for disabled passengers and for accredited journalists on concessions pass.
15. Mobile charging facilities in all new general class coaches initiated.
16. Out of 1252 stations identified for upgradation to ‘Adarsh stations,’ 986 stations have been developed; 160 have been developed in last two years.
17. Scheme ‘SMS gateway’ launched enabling passengers to get SMS alert on the status of reserved tickets.
18. New generation system installed which can book – 7,200 online tickets per minute (up from 2,000) and can attend to 2,00,000 enquiries per minute (up from 50,000).
19. Rationalization of computerized Passenger Reservation System (PRS) done to enable passengers to buy tickets even after the preparation of reservation charts.
20. Paperless unreserved ticketing including Paperless platform tickets through mobile mobile phone introduced of Western, Central, South Central, Southern Eastern and South Eastern railways.
21. Pilot project for Hand Held Terminal for TTEs launched.
22. E-booking of wheelchair launched.
23. E-booking of disposable linen in trains, initiated at New Delhi and Nizamuddin, Mumbai Central, Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus and Chennai station.
24. Currency Coin cum Card operated Automatic Ticket vending Machines installed at select stations.
25. Initiated one of the largest free WIfi systems in the world which is launched at 26 stations.
26. The booking of retiring rooms at different railway stations made online.
27. E-ticketing portal launched in Hindi.
28. 60 lifts and 150 escalators provided in last 2 years at Railway Station.
29. Model Rake (a passenger carrying train with 24 coaches) developed with improved interiors, colour scheme, aesthetics and amenity fittings. Presently operational between New Delhi and Varanasi.
30. Cancellation of confirmed PRS counter tickets made easy using IRCTC website of phone no. 139.
31. Provision made for accepting international debit and credit cards for payment purposes.
32. Yatri ticket seva Kendra scheme launched to allow private agents to operate ticketing terminals for selling reserved as well as unreserved tickets.
33. Started six pilgrims’ special tourist trains.
34. Dustbins to be provided in non-AC coaches.
35. NIFT Delhi has been engaged for designing of bedroll.
36. A new ‘Rail Neer’ plant packaged drinking water set up at Ambernath.
37. In order to increase availability of accommodation for general class passengers on long distance trains.
38. Suvidha trains with graded pricing structure introduced with facility of limited refund on cancellation of tickets.
39. The Defence travel system has rolled out –eliminate exchange of defence warrants on the NGeT platform. Till date about 2000 defence units have started issuing tickets through this platform without exchange of warrants.
40. Number of berths available for physically challenged has been increased from 2 to 4.
41. VIKALP Alternative Train Accommodation System launched with a view to provide confirmed accommodation to waitlisted passengers and also to ensure optimal utilization or available accommodation.
42. Launched ready to eat meals of reputed brands.
43. Commencement of provision of Braille sign language on 3000 coaches in order to facilitate easier travel for visually challenged.
44. Provided foldable ladder in First AC coach.
45. Provision of bio-degradable garbage bags to passengers.
46. Guards for escorting ladies in ‘special ladies train’ and ladies compartment.
47. Total mechanised laundry launched – 18. 45% of laundry cleaning by Mechanised laundry washers.
48. CCTV installations for security purposes in Amritsar-New Delhi – Shan-e- Punjab express trains.
49. Development of security app over some of the Zonal railways.
50. Middle bay reserved for women.