Your Indian Railways free WiFi, toilets experience set for this big transformation
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has today launched a web portal www.railsahyog.in today.
Over the last few years, Indian Railways has been taking various initiatives for upgrading its infrastructure, technology, hygiene among a host of other things to enhance the experience of passengers. The public transporter has also been in the search of alternate modes for generating revenues to fund its current and future initiatives. The task has been tough, but passengers are set to benefit in a big way.
It seems that Railways has now taken a leaf out of the Central government's 'Adopt A Heritage' scheme book. Under this scheme, a corporate house has been allowed to adopt a heritage site for a period of 5 years.
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has today launched a web portal www.railsahyog.in today. The web portal will provide a platform for the Corporates and PSUs to contribute to the creation of amenities at/near Railway Stations through Corporate Social Responsibility funds.
How will this Indian Railways initiative work?
Companies desirous of contributing can register their interest on the portal. The requests will be processed by Railways officials. Based on the principle of first come first serve, the requests will be shortlisted and selected applicants will be intimated to deposit the funds with Railways/nominated agencies like RITES/RAILTEL etc. The nominated agency will get the work executed thereafter.
"Rail Sahyog portal is an example of changing times & speedy execution of projects in Railways. Salient feature of this portal is its simplicity & transparency. This portal will provide an opportunity for Industry/ Companies/ Associations to collaborate with Railways. This portal will not only be beneficial for passengers but also for neighbourhood of Railway vicinity,” said Goyal.
Watch This Zee Business Video
Goyal said the main purpose of this initiative is to ensure creation of good quality assets.
"The cost indicated against each of the activities identified to be undertaken in this initiative are only indicative in nature but the main focus would be on ensuring the creation of good quality assets through this collaboration," he said.
The Minister further added that the portal has been envisaged as a platform for all including individuals as also private & public organisation to contribute towards CSR activities in association with Indian Railways.
Railways Board Chairman Ashwani Lohani said that the portal will remove all hurdles faced by the companies for cooperation with Railways.
The Railways has also identified opportunities in areas wherein corporate collaborations can be fostered which can positively impact the entire ecosystem under Railways. These are:
* Construction of toilets in circulating areas of all stations with the provision of low-cost sanitary pad vending machine & incinerator in female toilets and condom vending machine in male toilets and initial one-year maintenance. Approximate Cost per station: Rs 22-30 Lakh.
* Providing free Wi-Fi at stations through setting up Hotspots. Approximate cost per station: Rs 10.30 lakhs to Rs 12.30 lakhs
* Provision of Benches at station Platforms as a facility for senior citizens/disabled. Approximate cost per set: Rs 17500 to Rs 47500.
* Bottle crushing machines at 2175 major stations for ensuring environmental sustainability. The empty plastic water/cold drink bottles generated from the Railway passengers will be crushed in these machines to manage plastic pollution. Approximate cost per machine: Rs 3.5 lakhs to Rs 4.5 Lakhs.
* Dustbins at all stations for Swachh Bharat will help in preventing littering around. Separate dustbins for wet/dry waste need to be provided at circulating area of Station and Platforms. Approximate cost per set (two dustbins): Rs 4500