Orders shot up three times than normal on Prime Day, Amazon says
- Smartphone sales were five times more on Prime Day.
- Top ups on Amazon Pay increased significantly on Prime Day. Percentage of digital payments highest in 12 months
- Amazon said its mega TV deal on TCL ‘Buy one get one free TVs’ sold out in minutes.
The recently concluded Amazon Prime Day garnered more Prime subscribers as well as more orders which were three times higher than regular days, the company said.
“Prime members ordered close to 3X more on Prime Day than normal days,” Amazon said on Friday.
“Amazon’s first Prime Day celebration in India attracted a record number of customers. Since announcing Prime Day, more customers joined Prime than any full month since launch,” the company added.
Amazon Prime was speculated to have garnered 5-6 million subscribers in December 2016, as estimated by RedSeer Consulting.
Prime Day which was hosted in 13 countries including India began on July 10 at 6pm and continued up till midnight of July 11.
The US-based e-commerce company said that Prime membership increased even from small towns. “Prime membership grew significantly including smaller towns like Alwar, Muktsar, Gulbarga, and Nalgonda.”
“We are humbled the overwhelming response to our first Prime Day in India. With records set for Prime member sign ups, shopping across categories, streaming of Prime Video and Amazon Pay top ups customers clearly voted for the value and convenience of Amazon Prime.” said Amit Agarwal, SVP and Country Head, Amazon India.
Amazon said that it had witnessed a growth in smartphone sales by up to five times.
“Smartphones recorded a 5X jump in sales. Honor received its biggest opening ever for its smartphone Honor 8 Pro which was launched exclusively on Prime Day. Top selling brands were OnePlus, Xiaomi, Honor, Motorola, Samsung and Apple,” Amazon said.
The company said that cashless transactions using Amazon Pay also increased as the company offered higher discounts on the e-wallets usage.
“On Prime day, members enjoyed the fast and convenient experience offered by Amazon Pay balance. Top-Ups increased by 17X over normal days. 5X more members paid for their purchases using Amazon Pay Balance. As an indication of the growing trust which Amazon enjoys with its Prime members, the percentage of orders paid using digital payment methods was the highest in the past 12 months exceeding de-monetization,” Amazon said.
Amazon had offered devices like - Kindle and Fire TV Stick, for which the company said it ‘saw their biggest sales day yet on Prime Day.’
“Amazon.in’s mega TV deal on TCL buy one get one free TVs sold out in minutes,” the company said.
Other highlights of the Prime Day sale were listed by the company as follows:
- Amazon India’s 1st Original series, Inside Edge was the most streamed title in a single day for Prime Video in India - more members streamed 10th July than any other day since Prime Video launched.
- Members made a sound choice with Bose Sound link III which recorded more sales in 30 hours than it has in the past 3 months on Amazon.in.
- Canon 1300D saw more sales on Amazon.in in the 30 hours of Prime Day than it has in the past 30 days on Amazon.in.
- Top performing brands during the sale were ASICS (9X growth), Hush Puppies (9X), US Polo Ass. (8X).
- Beauty enthusiasts shopped for 5X more Deodorants than on a normal day in 2017 with Axe being the most sold brand. Skincare saw 2X increase in sales with Nivea being the most sold brand.
- Sports and Fitness saw a 2X jump in sales on Prime Day led by exclusive launches from Salman Khan's Being Human Foundation’s E-cycles.
- Kitchen Appliances saw a 2.5X jump in sales on Prime Day led by exclusive launches from Preeti and Butterfly. “Pigeon Handy Chopper” saw a 10X* increase in sales compared to normal days in 2017.
- Washing Machines saw a 8X spike in sales boosted by exclusive launches by IFB, Samsung and also driven by 8X spike in BPL and 7X spike in Bosch washing machine.
- Recliner sales saw more than 18X increase boosted by the exclusive launch from Forzza furniture.
- TV’s were a huge draw with the ‘buy one get one’ offer from TCL vanishing in minutes. Sanyo saw a 4X increase in the sale of TVs, thanks to the exclusive launch of the Sanyo Smart Range. Overall on Prime Day, TVs sold 8X more than normal days in 2017.
- In Toys, brands like Barbie & Hot Wheels and Lego saw a 6X and 10X jump in sales respectively.
- Book lovers enjoyed the first time ever exclusive author signed copies by 30 popular authors including Arundhati Roy, Chetan Bhagat, Amish Tripathi and Ruskin Bond.
- Prime Day was especially sweet as Sales of sugar went up 3X on Amazon Pantry!
“We will keep working hard to ensure Prime continues to make customers’ life better every day. We are already looking forward to our Prime Day celebration next year,” Amazon’s Agrawal said.